From The Race Deck
By Michael Moradzadeh
Friday Nights Half Done. Summer officially began on June 21 and already our rainy Spring seems a distant memory. Congratulations to Friday Night first half winners (see box).
Our second half has begun with a number of new features. Chef Ian has added T-bone steaks to the racers grill; I finally had one last week and they are just great. Also oysters.
We have rounded our shameless pandering to the idea of making sailors happy with live music and a Finish Line Happy Hour half price well drinks after the first finishing gun.
Oh yes, and the sailing has been great. We have not seen a fleet washed out in weeks, even with the 15 minute shorter time limit!
Trifecta: We had three exciting events on June 12. Yellow Bluff mark got a lot of work:
The CYC/TYC Friendship Regatta: Harry Blake, on behalf of TYC, ran the race over a Yellow Bluff-Southampton course. Twenty-seven boats toed the line. Harry was kind enough to delay his start until we had sent off the Knox racers (see following article).
YRA Long Knox Race. Most CYC regulars were at the Friendship Regatta, but we pulled together a team to run this race around Yellow Bluff and to points beyond. We saw some familiar faces on the water, including Charlie Brochard, but the big thrill was the other race.
Americas Cup Boats. IACCSF ran an all-weekend regatta. Pre-race maneuvers in front of the Club and roundings of Elephant Rock made for some good watching and commentary from the bar. We had a heck of a seat on the Knox committee boat, though. Sharing the start line with the IACC boats, we were smack dab on the return leg of their Yellowbluff/ Blackaller/Elephant course. Oracle spinnakered by within 5 feet of us. The other boats tagged along less than a boatlength to leeward. No hits, no errors. A heck of a day on the Bay for CYC.
Friday Night First Half Standings
Division: PHRF 1
- Blue Chip (Farr 40) Walton Logan
- Navigator (Soverel 33) Bill Melbostat
- Sabertooth (J 105) Mike Eagan
Division: PHRF 2
- Jimmy Riddle (Moore 24) Rich Korman
- Abigail Morgan (Express 27) Ron Kell
- Fast Friends (Santana 35) Bill Smith
Division: Non-Spin 1
- Basic Instinct (Elliott 10.50) Jan Borjeson
- Jarlen (J 35) Robert Bloom
- Q (Schumacher 40) Glenn Issacson
Division: PHRF 3
- Peer Gynt VI (Sprinta 23) Kjell Jim Skaar
- Big Wow! (Rhodes 19) Tom Royal
- Vague Unrest (Rhodes 19) Phil Simon
Division: Non-Spin 2
- Quickstep II (IOD) Richard Pearce
- Smogen III (Custom 36) Julle Le Vicki
- Never Again II (IOD) Mark Pearce
Division: Non-Spin 3
- ITSAZOO (Sprinta Sport 23) Al Widenhofer
- Juno (Newport Mark II 28) Gary Stypulkoski
- Fantasea Islander (Islander 28) Kevin Reilly
- Ascona (Comet 30) Jack Ulrichs
Division: Cal 20
- Tension II (Cal 20) John Nooteboom
- Chica (Cal 20) Ted Goldbeck